2017 FESTIVAL EVENTS
THURSDAY, MARCH 16TH
- 7:00 pm Mundelein Auditorium: As part of its mission to promote social justice, In/Motion supports the Loyola Climate Change Conference. Keynote Address - Mary Robinson, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy on El Niño and Climate, President of Mary Robinson Foundation: Climate Justice; and the recipient of the US Medal of Freedom by President Obama. Please register here.
FRIDAY, MARCH 17TH
11:15 am Mundelein Auditorium: Live Dance Performance by LUC Dance Theatre. Celebrating the connections between art and science at Loyola's annual Climate Change Conference. (Free!)
7:00 pm-9:00 pm Damen Cinema: Juried Screening and Award Ceremony (ticketed event)
9:00 pm-12:00 am Ireland's Bar: In/Motion Juried Screening After Party (cash bar)
SATURDAY, MARCH 18TH
- 10:00 am - 1:00 pm Mundelein Rm 409: In/Motion presents Physically Integrated Dance Practices.
Physically Integrated Dance Practices: Begin with a community dance session led by Sarah Cullen Fuller - no experience needed (but please wear clothes you can move in!) Two short dance films:
- Ripped, by filmmaker Natalie Stone. Ripped is a short documentary about the life and dance career of Kris Lenzo, former international wheelchair athlete turned dancer, father, husband, and double amputee. Following Ripped In/Motion will present a live dance performance by Kris Lenzo. Kris will perform Sarah Cullen Fuller’s The Journeyman, a solo work that explores memories housed in the body and shaped by the aging process and sleep/wake cycles. *This piece is presented by Bodies of Work and the University of Illinois at Chicago, as part of a 3Arts Fellowship. Additional funding for this project has been provided for by the National Endowment for the Arts.
-All, premiere, a dance film that explores kinesthetic improvisation and embodied storytelling across diverse dancer populations. Q&A to follow with the filmmakers, choreographers, and dancers involved in the project.
- 1:30-4:30 pm Mundelein Rm 409: Dance Filmmaking 101 Master Class.
- Dance Filmmaking 101 Master Class: Students learn about the logistics of getting a team together, making treatments, and the different roles of people on film sets as well as tips to collaborating with an artist in another medium. Learn about the choreographic process with rehearsals and what that process looks like technically.
- 5:00-8:00 pm Damen Cinema: Screening of feature-length film MA
- Post-screening discussion with featured Guest Artist TBA regarding her film MA and the female body as a storytelling vehicle.
SUNDAY, MARCH 19TH
- 10:00 am-1:00 pm Mundelein 409/Palm Court: Master Class/Workshop with featured Guest Artist Celia Rowlson-Hall.
- Dance in the Political Landscape Master Class: Our featured Guest Artist Celia Rowlson-Hall will introduce her work in the current political landscape, lead a discussion regarding dance's role in politics, social media and social justice, and participants will workshop these ideas surrounding social justice concepts that interest them.